Sunday, December 7, 2008

Remembering

As we deplaned in Port au Prince, I carried her down the steps on my hip. We continued across the long walkway into immigration, past the drummers and welcome signs. I could feel my heartbeat increase and the blood rushing to my head. Taking a deep breath I smiled bravely to her and whispered "We're going to see your Mommy and Papa!". She nodded. Cindy and Joe walked silently next to us. The echo of our footsteps loud. Here we are.

Our passports stamped and bags rolling out into the sun, we looked for their faces. Unfortunately they were not there. Later we found out they had been told to come to the orphanage. We then decided to find food and take the winding road up the mountain to explore the Baptist Mission. We had originally planned on taking the parents with us to talk.

haitianbeauty


I remember seeing them sitting on the steps of the clinic when the truck pulled into Barabara's village later that day. My mind was calm, I felt peace. I trust you God. I trust you. My eyes closed for just a second to recognize, this wasn't an ending but a beginning. Of excatly what I did not know.

No comments: